A user of QuickBooks accounting software may face QuickBooks Error 15106 when he or she is updating QuickBooks.
QuickBooks Error Code 15106 message that appears on the user’s computer screen states that QuickBooks cannot open the update program or the update program is corrupted or damaged.
Why does QuickBooks Error 15106 occur?
QuickBooks Error 15106 can occur due to one or more of the reasons given here below -
- An antivirus software or program installed on the user’s PC is not allowing update to take place.
- User is using the computer with a non-admin account.
How to resolve QuickBooks Error 15106?
To fix this error, you can follow the steps given here below. Take into consideration that if your QB payroll subscription is active, then after every step you have to download latest tax table.
Step No. 1 - Log in with admin account
- Restart the computer and log in with admin account.
- If you are already logged in with a non-admin account, go to QB icon.
- Do a right click on the QB icon.
- Choose Run as Administrator from the options that appear on right clicking.
- Now, you are using QB with an admin account.
Step No. 2 - Stop antivirus and rename downloadqbXX
- Firstly, open Task Manager.
- Find your antivirus .exe file under the Processes tab and choose End Process. In case, an error is appearing, uninstall antivirus.
- Go to File Explorer.
- If you are using 32-bit, navigate to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components, or if you are using 64-bit, open C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Go to this folder - downloadqbXX - and rename it by adding .old at the end of the folder’s name.
- Update QB and check whether QuickBooks Update Error 15106 is appearing.
Step No. 3 - Turn off UAC
If in case, you are using Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system, then you have to turn off UAC temporarily by following the steps given below. If you are using Windows 10, go to next step.
- First of all, open Control Panel.
- After that open User Accounts in the classic view.
- Now, you have to choose Change UAC settings. If in case, UAC prompts you, click Yes.
- Take the slider to Never Notify position and after that click on the OK button to turn off the UAC.
- Restart your PC.
- Now, see if you are getting QuickBooks Error Code 15106.
Step No. 4 - Use Selective Startup
This step requires you to use Selective Startup for performing a clean install.
If you are finding any difficulty in using the solutions given above, or if you are unable to fix QuickBooks Error 15106, you can call QuickBooks experts at Accountant Squad at the toll-free QuickBooks Error Tech Support 1-888-502-0363 to avail quick troubleshooting.